5. You’ll probably need a guarantor:

Most landlords here require that?tenants earn an annual salary of 40 to 50 times the monthly rent. If you don’t, they’ll ask for a guarantor who? lives in the tri-state area and makes 80 to 100 times the rent to promise to pay the balance of your lease if you stop sending the rent checks.

Instead of a guarantor, some landlords will accept a higher security deposit (say, two to six months of rent) or prepayment of part of the first year’s rent. Note that rent-stabilized buildings, which include many newer rental buildings, are not allowed to take a higher security deposit.

In either situation, you may be able to use a service like Insurent, which acts as a professional guarantor for tenants with clean credit histories. You’ll pay about 80 percent of a month’s rent if you have U.S. credit and 110 percent of a month’s rent if you are foreign with no U.S. credit record.